We offer a range of timber products including hardwood and softwood
We are big on Accoya
Historically all of our new joinery, sashes and sash boxes were made entirely out of hardwood, typically Sapele. Sapelle is a sustainable hardwood that is very durable, has a very tight grain so takes a good paint finish and is lightweight, which makes it ideal for windows. We still offer a Sapelle as an option but we are increasingly using the timber Accoya as it is a far superior wood.
Why have we switched?
There are several reasons why we have switched from Sapele to Accoya as our number one choice of timer. Some of the key reasons are:
- It’s incredibly durable – This makes it a perfect choice for sash windows as it can withstand the day to day challenges that windows face.
- It’s water-resistant and does not rot - Need we say any more. Its water-resistant properties make Accoya the standout choice for sash windows giving us the peace of mind that what we will install does not rot.
- Accoya is sustainable - We love that Accoya is sustainably sourced. It is modified timber in which a process called acetylation, making it a sustainable wood source that is not only good or your windows but also great for our planet.
- It’s incredibly reliable - Guaranteed for over 50 years above sea level! Meaning Accoya can defy the elements and perform for decades.
- It’s perfect for windows - Rot proof, durable and improving thermal insulation, there isn’t a better choice of wood for windows.
A deep dive into Accoya
Accoya is the brand name of a treated wood created via a non-toxic treatment and uses fast-growing softwood timber from sustainable sources, which creates a high-performance wood, ideal for outdoor use.
The treated wood has very high durability and dimensional stability, allowing for reduced maintenance and gives environmental advantages over slow-growing hardwoods, woods treated with toxic chemicals, and non-renewable carbon-intensive materials such as plastics.
If you would like to find out any more about Accoya, then you can visit the official website here